Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Getting used to life with two ...

Life has been interesting lately in our Rank household. Lots of screams ... from two boys fighting for attention. Not fighting against each other, thankfully - no, it seems that they're fighting together as if by requesting more, more might become available. Kind of like how a woman's body knows to produce more milk when more is requested.

Caleb has a strong cry that ramps surprisingly quickly to a blood-curdling scream. Blood-curdling, this is a gross word that seems strangely appropriate ... if you've seen what happens when something curdles, it's certainly not pretty. True to his character, there have only been two times in the car when Graham has said, "Stop it, Stop it, STOP IT!" to Caleb ... the other times he seems to quietly deal with it in his own way - singing or talking to the characters from the books he reads, singing to Caleb, or just gazing off into space. It's neat to see the roots of Graham's character here - it helps me to understand that the other "acting out" episodes we are having may just be par for the course as he tests and learns how to interact with others.

My biggest struggle right now is trying to figure out how to time getting out of the house to accomplish errands - or get to preschool with an element of sanity remaining. Caleb eats in the morning right before I get breakfast together for Graham, and he's ready to go to sleep for his nap before Graham is done eating. Unfortunately he doesn't transfer easily to the carseat. If I let him sleep in his bed which I prefer to do, then he's not up and fed again until 11:30 .. and this is the best time to feed Graham to have him down for his nap at 12:30. Napping G later is an option, but it makes for an ugly evening and a desperate wife begging her husband to hurry home. I am thankful for preschool which forces me to figure out a way to get out and gives me a couple of [short] hours to knock out a few to-dos. I am also thankful Caleb does eventually fall asleep and usually stays asleep for his full nap. These are my silver linings.

For the record, I do remember things begin to settle in a bit more at 6 weeks. That's not so far away - I can wait ... not hoping for too much I hope. I do try to be realistic .....

As if things inside the house weren't interesting enough, another rabbit has taken up residence under our back deck. Lazslow cannot find a moment of rest while the rabbit's scent lingers. In and out, out and in, barking, moaning, wagging, dancing, licking the deck, smelling for it even from inside the sliding glass door. We certainly have had our share of critter interactions - to wit, some of you may remember the squirrel I trapped a few years ago (story) ... Lazslow took the tail off another squirrel, and last fall we found evidence that yet another squirrel had taken up residence in our shed (icky squirrel poop combined with tooth marks into our bone meal and peat moss).

Pat's solution this time is the best so far - he is installing chicken wire along the perimeter of the deck foundation ... burying it a few inches into the ground to frustrate even the most valiant of rabbits. But while this project has been started, the finish will be delayed until we complete the install of our new deck. In the meantime, we get to watch this tiny critter (much smaller than you'd expect) out nibbling the grass. I wish I could convince him to nibble all the leftover crocus greens, but apparently he only likes crocus flowers (!).


Here is G getting his hair cut at Li'l Snippers down the street. Now I know the secret to keeping him calm and still for the clippers is watching Toy Story ... too bad we don't have a TV in the bathroom!



Getting bigger! I think he grew again last night during an extra long early evening sleep.



This is the wallpaper on my phone right now - taken by my friend Alli at the library.

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Yes, life with two.... we are in it together :) It has already been both wonderful and trying around here as well.