Sunday, June 26, 2011

Live in Wonder

(Mary Anne Radmacher, click here to purchase)

This poem has been coming to mind more frequently than normal. I count the cause to be the two little blessings currently sacked out upstairs.

I originally saw this poem as a vision of romantic love. I purchased it from the Mary Anne Radmacher store in Cannon Beach, OR several years ago ... I hung it in Pat's bedroom just before he arrived to live in Washington. I still see it as a vision of romantic love, but since then, my understanding of endless love has grown.

Since our marriage, it has occupied many different locations in our home. Most recently, I added it to the guest bathroom around the time we painted it yellow in anticipation of Graham's arrival. I look at it while I am perched on the edge of the bathtub grumbling internally as Graham asks me to read him another book while he goes potty. I look at it while I'm brushing his teeth ... washing his hands ... and after I put them both to sleep.

Think on these things and tell me if they don't [at least somewhat] adequately describe the wonderful transformation that occurs in the heart of a parent:

I didn't know I would hold you so dearly ...
I want to still the waters while you enjoy the image of your boundless curiosity ...
... your enduring promise ...
... all beginnings and all exquisite ends.




4 comments:

Kimberlee said...

love this, molly, and LOVE the photo of graham and caleb together! how sweet. so true that the notion of falling in love and all that happens to the heart when it's in love completely expands when one has children. i feel all fluttery and heart-swollen when i look at my kids :)

AK-mom said...

Great photo!!

And I LOVE that poem in your bathroom, have wanted to rewrite it and put it up here, saying something like "adapted from MA Rod" Her words are really great here.

joe said...

It is a great poem. And the photos of the boys are lovely, Thank you for sharing. I think we should trade poetry more often.

Cheryl Lyons said...

These photos are PRICELESS!