Sunday, September 21, 2008

First trip to Boise!

It's Sunday evening and we're in Boise, ID. Pat, Graham and my dad are out for their first bike ride. Graham's first bike ride, that is. We have a Chariot Cougar that we have been using as a stroller, and it also attaches to the back of a bike ... it's quite the convertible unit (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/). We've been using the infant sling and Graham has done really well in it so far (just walking, not yet riding). Pat brought his bike and all the equipment to hook the trailer up, and he's been really eager to get Graham out for a bike ride.


So, I have my dad's computer on the kitchen table eagerly (anxiously?) keeping a lookout for their return. They do have a flag on the trailer, and they are being careful ... and he is dressed warmly - with a blanket ... but I am still sitting here anxiously awaiting their safe return. I didn't have a chance to snap a pic, but I will dart out as soon as they get back. Graham was about to fall asleep when I buckled him into the trailer, so I'm sure he's calm and sleeping in the back. That makes me feel more comfortable than worrying that he's squalling back there!


Enough about that! Today my parents had an open house for us, and we got to see some good family friends and old high school friends. We had a really nice time. My mom sure knows how to host a party and lay out a tasty (and healthy) spread! I am posting some pictures from the day, with some of our friends who got to meet Graham for the first time. He did really well, charming the folks and chattering to them ... telling them all about his day and how much he loves visiting Boise.

Oh! They just got back from the bike ride! I just ran out to take a picture, they're all in one piece, and Graham is still warm. He was crying when I got out there, but they told me he just started as they were pulling into the drive way; that he had been sleeping for quite a while. All's safe here, and that's one adventure successfully accomplished. Note to Joe O'Brien: Pat mentioned that he might have to try to one-up you for your record of having the youngest summiteer when you and he took Cole up the South Sister at 2 years. I just don't know if I like that idea. We'll see.


Armond and Betty Taylor were great friends with my grandparents and have been a significant part of my memories and spiritual growth from the time I was as old as Graham is now!!
Dave & Betty Willman are also good friends of the family, and have been really special to both Andy and me as we have grown al0ngslide their grandchildren.

This is Tim Grissom, learning to hold a baby ... he and his wife Liz are expecting a little girl in 8 weeks! He will also be a new uncle (again) in several months. See how happy Graham is with him? He started crying when Tim handed him to Liz. Go Tim! You've got the "Daddy comfort" down!

Grandmother Kathy

Here are the returning cyclists - they have successfully initiated Graham into the world of cycling. We'll see how he does from here - maybe I'll take him out next!

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Looks like a great time, wish we could have been there. Jeff is already trying to figure out how soon we can take our little one backpacking... it will be interesting to see just how young the new Grissom will start adventuring... :)

apemarie said...

I thought about you from 3 - 5 pm :~( yesterday! (I wanted to hold Graham again!) Micah is sick, with a fever and a bad attitude. I plan to take him in today but I had to protect Graham from my family germs. When are heading back? - you're probably gone already... I hope I see you again soon!!

Den Mom said...

Am I the only one in your "blogging family" who knows the Taylors? Wow, they look great! Armond does not look a day over 60! Neat to see you in Boise! Graham is sure growing fast! He may not be able to climb a mountain until he's two, but if he doesn't fly out to Virginia before then, he'll have to pay for a seat! Hurry East!
Hugs,
(Great)Auntie Cheryl